With a beautiful free-standing wooden closet and a king bed, this corner room has lots of windows and space. Light floral wallpaper draws attention to the architecture, and a fireplace with a wooden mantle can be seen from the bed. A pair of wing chairs are drawn up near the fire, and there is even a peek of the bay from the street-side balcony.
Third Floor King Bed Tub/Shower Large Flat Panel TV DVD Player Fireplace Private Balcony
May 18-June 21 and October 21-close: $199
June 22-October 20: $289
John Clark (?–1909) was a prominent Bar Harbor builder who built Cleftstone circa 1881. Clark, originally a citizen of Ellsworth, launched his building career in Bar Harbor by building the West End Hotel in 1879. He then moved to Bar Harbor and built the Rodick Hotel, going on to become the most prolific builder of his era in Maine.
Although he built at least two more hotels and several commercial buildings in town, cottages were becoming more fashionable for summer visitors and Clark’s business shifted in that direction. The Bar Harbor Times credited Clark with over three hundred cottages built between 1880 and 1909. In addition to Cleftstone, his credits included Stanwood, Mizzentop, Bagatelle, Beau Desert, and The Turrets. Most of his work has succumbed to the wrecking ball or to fire. Cleftstone and The Turrets, located across the street, may be the only remaining cottages built by John Clark. In addition to his work as a builder, Clark was also an architect, designing several cottages and commercial buildings.
Beyond his professional life, Clark was an avid horseman. In particular he enjoyed trotting and was known to race his trotting horses, probably at the old Robin Hood Park. He was well known for having a great deal of love and respect for his horses.
The John Clark room was one of two bedrooms added on to the third floor during the 1903 addition.