As one of the oldest rooms at Cleftstone Manor, Acadia Park dates back to 1894. A four-poster queen bed takes center stage in the blue and cream wallpapered sleeping alcove, and upholstered chairs in the sitting area are ideal for late afternoon tea or a sip of Maine blueberry wine.
Detached bath with tub/shower
Flat panel TV
Acadia Park was a name given by real estate developer Charles T. How to his planned subdivision below Cadillac Mountain. In August of 1887, How, DeGrasse Fox, and several others incorporated the Acadia Park Company for the purpose of improving and selling land.
The land that was to be Acadia Park stretched from Eagle Lake Road to Kebo Street, bounded on the south by Cromwell Harbor Road. For reasons unknown to us, the development company changed direction and opted to turn much of this land into the Kebo Valley Club the following year. Some modest homes were built on the northern end of the tract, all of which perished in the 1947 fire.
The name Acadia is interesting and often misused by residents and visitors. It is not uncommon to hear it pronounced “Arcadia” by many first time visitors. The name Acadia is based on the French word L’ Acadie, meaning a paradise. This name was given to the French claimed lands in northeastern America by the explorer Verrazano. The French inhabitants were known as Acadians. During the 1750s, the British forced the Acadians to move to other colonies, or flee to French controlled Louisiana, where the name Acadians evolved into “cajuns.”
When Acadia National Park was first established, it was known as Lafayette National Monument. It then became Lafayette National Park and was ultimately changed to Acadia National Park (1929) in reference to the original French name for this area.
The Acadia Park room was part of the servants’ quarters when Cleftstone was a private home, and dates back to an 1894 addition.